DENTAID EXPERTISE

News for dentistry professionals

Back to home page

BENEFITS OF WATERPIK® IN DIABETIC PATIENTS

News

29 Nov 2018

Waterpik® water flossers have been clinically proven to improve the oral health of users with diabetes. 

The toothbrush is the most important tool for the mechanical control of oral biofilm; however, only 60% of the dental surface is cleaned with this method. The remaining 40% is in the interproximal area, which provides favourable conditions for the build-up of bacterial plaque, causing various diseases and disorders including caries, halitosis, gingivitis or peri-implant mucositis, amongst others. 

Water flossers are best at cleaning this area, removing both food residue and the oral biofilm that adheres between the teeth, and they also reach the subgingival areas. 

Oral irrigation is indicated in all patients as a complement to brushing, and Waterpik® has been clinically proven to provide significant oral health benefits, particularly in the case of diabetic users, who are at higher risk for gum disease. 

Use of Waterpik® water flossers has shown a reduction in gingival bleeding and inflammation in diabetics. Moreover, it is advisable for diabetics to use a specific mouthwash, such as VITIS® gingival, to ensure good gum condition and to prevent complications. 

In diabetic patients having undergone treatment for periodontitis, low strength chlorhexidine (CHX) such as Perio·Aid® CHX 0.05% may be indicated for daily gum control, or Perio·Aid® CHX 0.12% as an adjuvant to periodontal or peri-implant treatment. 

Waterpik® provides significant improvement in diabetic patients with respect to(1)

• Gingival index (66.9%)
• Plaque reduction (64.8%)
• Bleeding on Probing (43.4%) 

Reduction of gingival bleeding in diabetic patients 44% more effective
Standard oral hygiene vs. Waterpik® water flosser 

Reduction of gingival inflammation in diabetic patients 41% more effective
Standard oral hygiene vs. Waterpik® water flosser 

Bibliography

  1. Al-Mubarak S, Ciancio S, Aljada A, Awa H, Hamouda W, Ghanim H, Zambon J, Boardman TJ, Mohanty P, Ross C, Dandona P. Comparative evaluation of adjunctive oral irrigation in diabetics. J Clin Periodontol 2002; 29 (4): 295-300.

RELATED ARTICLES

News

14 Jul 2020

THE IDEAL FORMULA TO HELP REPAIR AND HEAL DAMAGED ORAL MUCOSA

In recent years, the number of mouth surgeries has increased due to the growth in implant interventions, amongst other reasons. In all these…

See more
News

14 Jul 2020

INTERPROXIMAL CLEANING: YOUR PATIENTS’ RESOLUTION FOR THE NEW YEAR

The main oral pathologies, such as decay, gingivitis and peri-implant mucositis, along with disorders like halitosis, originate from the build-up of…

See more
News

14 Jul 2020

THE MOUTH IS NOT AN ISOLATED SYSTEM RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ORAL HEALTH AND OVERALL HEALTH

We often see the oral cavity as an independent system from the rest of the body. However, it is a gateway to the organism and, therefore, the problems…

See more

Sign up for the DENTAID Expertise newsletter

Sign up for the newsletter

Data controller DENTAID, S.L. LABORATORIOS DE PREVENCIÓN E HIGIENE BUCAL, SLU (“PHB”).
Purpose of data processing To respond to a query from the interested party with the advice of a specialist.
Legitimisation of data processing Your consent to process your personal data.
Recipients of disclosure or transfer Data is not disclosed or transferred internationally.
Rights of the interested persons To access, rectify and delete their data, and to exercise other rights as set out in the additional information.
Additional information You can consult additional and detailed information on data protection at this link.

Do you want to keep up with the latest news for dental professionals?

Sign up for the DENTAID Expertise newsletter

Data controller DENTAID, S.L. LABORATORIOS DE PREVENCIÓN E HIGIENE BUCAL, SLU (“PHB”).
Purpose of data processing To respond to a query from the interested party with the advice of a specialist.
Legitimisation of data processing Your consent to process your personal data.
Recipients of disclosure or transfer Data is not disclosed or transferred internationally.
Rights of the interested persons To access, rectify and delete their data, and to exercise other rights as set out in the additional information.
Additional information You can consult additional and detailed information on data protection at this link.
DENTAID Global

Discover what we are doing worldwide:

DENTAID by countries

Find the latest DENTAID innovations and solutions in each country:

Cookies Policy

Cookies settings have been saved / updated correctly with the indicated preferences.

Close